Explore Human Relations & Organization Development
Learn how to effectively manage and lead people in an organizational setting and enter the human resources field with a credential employers will respect with Champlain's online human relations and organization development certificate.
This certificate can be taken as a stand-alone program, or can be used as a stepping stone on the way to obtaining your online associate degree in business management or online bachelor's degree in business management.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our human relations and organization development certificate coursework is applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you've already earned an undergraduate degree or you're currently pursuing your bachelor's degree, a certificate is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named the Best Private Online College by Intelligent.com
Gain New Skills with a Certificate
Employment in human resources occupations is projected to grow by 7% percent from 2018 to 2028 - faster than the average for all occupations.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019
Top Reasons to Pursue a Certificate
- Enter a new field
- Build new skills
- Gain knowledge on your way towards a degree
- Differentiate your resume
- Earn a credential
- Demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of learning
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online human relations and organization development undergraduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online human relations and organization development courses encompass the top skills needed by today's HR professionals.
Required Courses (15 Credits):
Addresses the opportunities and problems involved in managing human dynamics in organizations. Identifies intervention techniques, theories, principles, and values involved in planned change processes for organization development and organizational transformation. Reviews and applies behavioral science theory and practice.
Students will apply communication theory and research to address the particular challenges to communicating effectively in organizations. Students will learn how to identify organizational communication problems, analyze those problems, and generate effective solutions. Students will examine the relationship between organizational structure and specific communicative practices, and how communication practices by organizational members establish, maintain, or change organizational culture. They will also learn how to anticipate communication deficiencies in organizations, and use communication as a means to facilitate organizational development and innovation.
Complete COMM-130 or COM-100.
Students will learn how to create conditions for successful conflict engagement, a necessary skill for any professional. The course focuses on the foundational capacities to remain calm and connected with oneself and others. In this state students can access helpful ideas and responses and be their best selves regardless of environment. Improving facility for conflict creates stronger relationships and reduces fear. By the end of the course, students will understand that disagreement and difference can become a source of personal and interpersonal growth.
Students will learn to navigate the rapidly changing nature of communication in the digital age, deeply engaging with tools such as instant messaging, social networks, blogs and collaborative spaces online, all the while applying specific communication theories in order to determine best practices. Through reading, discussion and intensive hands-on projects, students will work to overcome online communication barriers and gain critical understanding of which tools are effective in which situations. Students will be required to download, access and utilize various online communication tools.
COM-100 or COMM-130 and 30 completed credits or 60 completed credits
Students will explore the field or Organization Development, with particular emphasis on the strength-based research, theory, and tools emerging in the social sciences that are informing modern approaches to organizational change. Students will explore concepts including appreciative inquiry, positive orgranization scholarship, positive psychology, design theory, and the rise of sustainable enterprises.
Graduates of the online human relations and organization development certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Assess group and individual behaviors in organizational settings and how these behaviors affect performance and outcomes.
- Apply communication theory and research to address the challenges of communicating effectively in organizations.
- Identify and overcome possible sources of conflict in interpersonal, group, and organizational contexts, and work through conflict appropriately and successfully when it occurs.
- Navigate the rapidly changing nature of communication in the digital age.
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental HR and organization development concepts including appreciative inquiry, positive organizational scholarship, positive psychology, design theory, and the rise of sustainable enterprises.
Champlain College Online's HR faculty, led by Program Director Dr. Albert Orbinati, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our human relations and organization development certificate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s human resources professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the business world, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
Upcoming Information Sessions
The Online Learning Experience Information Session
Are you curious about online education? Have you taken online classes before, but want to see what online learning is like at Champlain College? Join us for an informational webinar with an admissions representative, who will show you what that experience is like! You'll get a tour of the online classroom, learn about who we are, who are students are, and discover resources and support. The webinar will conclude with a question and answer session.
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.