Tools You'll Need to Succeed
Champlain College Online uses Canvas for its online classroom. To participate in online courses at Champlain, students must own or have regular access to a personal computer with a reliable internet connection. Students in technical courses or programs of study will have different or additional requirements, listed below.
For Discounts On Software and/or Computers Please Visit the Following:
Following are the minimum technology requirements Champlain College Online students need to successfully participate in their courses.
- A personal computer* (5 years old or newer) capable of running the current or first previous major release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge Respondus Lockdown Browser, or Safari. For those using the Windows operating system, Windows 10 is recommended.
The latest requirements and supported accessibility features can be found on the official Canvas website.
*Personal computers for students enrolled in technical courses and/or degree programs should meet/exceed the basic and technical courses/programs of study hardware requirements.
Minimum Internet Speed
- Bandwidth of 512 Kbps (i.e. basic DSL) minimum required to support Canvas
- Bandwidth of 5 Mbps minimum to support good video streaming.
- Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux: While Apple and Linux operating systems will work for Canvas, some of the software required for coursework will only work with Windows operating systems.
- Screen Size: Students should consider their study habits and course requirements, i.e. readings, when selecting a display. For most students, a good quality 21-inch or larger 1920x1080 display works well. Depending on the course of study, having two smaller displays may also work.
Minimum Requirements for Technical Courses/Programs of Study
In addition to the requirements listed above, some technical courses require students have computers that go beyond the minimum requirements, and/or purchase/install additional software. Below are the additional hardware and software requirements for students enrolled in technical programs. For requirements related to a specific course or program, students are strongly encouraged to reach out to the instructor and/or their advisor prior to making hardware and software purchases.
Technical Courses/Programs of Study Minimum Hardware Requirements*
- 64-bit x86 Intel processor or equivalent
- 16 GB RAM
- 1 TB or greater storage capacity
*These are the minimum hardware requirements, but the overall use of the system will dictate the appropriate system processor and amount of RAM. In general, students will want to purchase Intel Core i5 and Core i7 series or equivalent AMD processors.
Technical Courses/Programs of Study Minimum Software Requirements
Although it's possible for students to access Canvas when they are working with operating systems other than Windows, students in technical courses and degree programs are expected to work in Microsoft's Windows environment. Those purchasing new systems are encouraged to opt for Windows 10 Pro. Students in technical courses and degree programs are unable to use systems with Chrome OS installed unless they will only be used to access Canvas.
Web design and development students need to purchase Dreamweaver and Photoshop. Adobe offers discounts for students. More information available in the Champ Support Wiki
Please contact the instructor or your academic advisor.