truEDFed Frequently Asked Questions

Following are some of the most frequently asked questions we hear from our prospective Federal truED Alliance students. If you do not find the answer to your question below, feel free to contact us directly at or 877.887.3960. 

The truED preferred tuition rate is not offered retroactively. Consult with your academic advisor about how to change your status to a truED student from a standard student. 

Just like for Federal employees, truED pricing is not offered retroactively. However, your spouse/domestic partner/adult dependent should notify their academic advisor of their status as truED eligible through the Federal Government. The truED rate will take effect at the start of the next semester. 

There are over 60 fully-online programs that are eligible for the truED preferred tuition rates. None of our on-campus programs or courses, however, are eligible for truED pricing. 

We define an adult dependent as someone between the ages of 22-26 years old and who is (or qualifies to be) covered by the Federal employee's benefits. What about your 18-21 year old adult dependent? Our online programs are created with the adult learner in mind, with projects and discussions based on the individual's workplace scenarios and experiences. Therefore, we do not typically admit 18-21 year old students to our online degree programs. 

If you are taking classes as an adult dependent and you become ineligible for Federal benefits, for whatever reason, you may continue to take classes as a truED student as long as you remain enrolled. If you stop taking courses, when you re-enroll you will pay the standard per-credit tuition for the program in which you are enrolled. 

Yes! All military service members are eligible for our special truED pricing. In fact, military service members pay the truED rate for graduate courses but get an even lower per credit rate for undergraduate courses. As a bonus, spouses/domestic partners and eligible adult dependents of military service members receive the truED Alliance preferred tuition rates. 

If you leave the Federal workforce your truED pricing will continue as long as you remain an active student in good academic standing. You may also continue to receive truED pricing if your new employer has a truED Alliance or Partnership with Champlain College (to find out, visit our Find Your Organization page)  If you stop taking classes and then return, and you are not with a truED organization, you will pay the standard tuition rate that is in effect at the time you return.

If you, or your spouse, retire and you are already enrolled at Champlain College Online you may continue to pay truED pricing. However, if you stop taking courses for more than one semester and then you decide to return, you will be charged the standard per credit rate in effect at the time you return. 

You may withdraw from a course or courses at any time, but please note you MUST follow the procedures listed in our refund policy and the amount of your refund will depend upon your date of withdrawal. There is also a specific timeframe to withdraw/passing from a courses versus withdraw/not passing. Please speak with your academic advisor to learn specifics. If you withdraw and do not return within three semesters of your last course, you will need to re-apply to your program. 

As for truED tuition, as long as you are from a truED organization you may receive truED pricing. 

The Federal Student Loan Repayment Program permits agencies to repay federally insured student loans as a recruitment or retention incentive for candidates or current employees of the agency. Each agency has its own student loan repayment programs. 

For general information, review OPM's Pay and Leave information. You will need to speak to the appropriate contact within your own agency for information on how your agency implements the program. 

Many of our courses use articles, journals, and free ebooks for required reading instead of textbooks; instructors utilize Champlain College's free digital library to hold books and articles for students to access. This is only one of the many ways we are working to make higher education more accessible and affordable for adult learners. 

Some of our courses do, however, require you to purchase textbooks. To find out if your course has books you need to purchase, simply enter your course information (course and section number) into the campus bookstore website. Remember, if you are receiving financial aid you may use your aid toward the purchase of books for your classes. 

The truED Alliance provides a substantial tuition savings, so Champlain doesn't provide any additional institutional grants or scholarships to further reduce your cost of enrollment. You may still be eligible for Federal financial aid, including loans.  To apply for Federal financial aid, complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at, if you have any questions or need assistance please contact our financial aid office at 800.570.5858.