Explore Information Security
Learn to think strategically about system defense, threat detection, and breach response through a graduate certificate in information security. A key component of this program is understanding a traditional risk-management approach, since it's important to be able to identify and quantify resources being protected.
A Nationally Recognized Leader in Cybersecurity
Champlain is a nationally recognized leader in cybersecurity and digital forensics education and home of the Senator Patrick Leahy Center for Digital Investigation & Cybersecurity. With a robust faculty of expert-practitioner instructors who have significant experience working for top organizations and are sought-after thought leaders in the field, we specialize in building agile cybersecurity and digital forensics programs that the meet mission-critical needs of today's businesses, nonprofit organizations, and state and federal governments.
Champlain has been designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the U.S. National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security since 2006, and Champlain cybersecurity programs have been named best in the nation by SC Magazine. Champlain is also designated as a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the Defense Cyber Crime Center (DC3) Air Force Office of Special Investigations - the fifth college in the nation to receive this distinction.
Build Your Career Future
Today's information security professionals require more than a policy-based approach; they must be able to use strategic thinking and creative problem solving to address sophisticated system attacks and breaches.
A graduate certificate will help you advance your information security career, highlight in-demand skills, showcase subject matter expertise, and gain knowledge that can be applied to your workplace from day one.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named the Best Private Online College by Intelligent.com
Accomplish More with a Graduate Certificate in Information Security
Computer and information technology occupations are projected to grow 13% from 2020 to 2030 - much faster than the average for all occupations.*
A specialized certificate can help you build new skills, differentiate your resume, and demonstrate your value as an employee in your current organization.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2020
Top Reasons to Earn a Graduate Certificate
- Climb the career ladder
- Build new skills
- Earn a recognized credential
- Differentiate your resume
- Test a new field
- Pursue a passion
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online information security graduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online information security courses encompass the top skills needed by today's infosec professionals.
Required Courses (15 Credits):
Understanding risk and identifying the threats organizations face are essential skills for today's information security professionals. In this course that introduces students to the graduate degree program, students learn to compute impact scores for vulnerabilities, classify data, and use Champlain College Online's virtual environment to explore how to use IOCs (Indicators of Compromise).
Students will gain an understanding and respect for emerging technology by exploring current trends in security and examining topics such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, blockchain and behavior analytics. Students will analyze the science behind these technologies as well as the ethical and privacy concerns and implications that may hinder their widespread adoption.
Security controls are used to maintain confidentiality, integrity and availability of systems and typically enterprise architectures are built using frameworks. Students move beyond defense in depth and breadth strategies and "learn by doing" in this course, working in the virtual environment with tools like Nmap, Open-AduIT, Splunk, and more.
Complete OPSC-501 and OPSC-510
Hands-on labs and assignments using Kali Linux, Metasploitable, Nessus and Armitage build on previously acquired knowledge of threat and vulnerability classification in this course that allows students to use the knowledge of a vulnerability to perform threat analysis. Vulnerability and patch management processes are also addressed.
Complete OPSC-501 and OPSC-510
It's not a question of if an incident will take place, but when. Organizations must assume they will suffer a breach, data loss or other security event that will impact operations. Students learn to prioritize events, develop and document an incident response plan, and identify the role of forensic investigations in incident response as well as use tools to perform USB and memory forensics exercises.
Graduates of the information security online graduate certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Develop system and data classification criteria based upon business needs and sensitivity.
- Assess attack strategies through the use of analysis techniques and determine risk level to the business and potential responses.
- Identify responses to potential vulnerabilities within the organizations.
- Determine appropriate controls to respond to suspicious behavior that has been detected.
Champlain College Online's information security faculty, led by Cybersecurity Program Chair Kathleen Hyde, MCIS, MBA, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our information security graduate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s information security professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online information security graduate certificate program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits nationwide, including:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Naval Information Warfare Center
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- TJX Companies, Inc.
- Department of Navy
- U.S. Air Force
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Acquisition Program Manager
- Information System Security Officer
- Integration Data Center Technician
- Interoperability Developer
- Professional Security Engineer
- Security Analyst II
- Senior Design Engineer
- Supervisory Information Technology Specialist
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
Upcoming Information Sessions
Paying For Your Education Information Session
Every financial situation is different, but let us offer some helpful tips and walk you through the financial process at Champlain Online. In this interactive webinar, learn from an admissions representative who will share with you some information about financial aid, payment plans, veteran benefits, and more.
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.