Designed for those interested in beginning the study of accounting and obtaining entry-level accounting positions, Champlain's online accounting certificate provides a comprehensive introduction to the field.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our accounting certificate coursework is applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you've already earned an undergraduate degree or you're currently pursuing your bachelor's degree, an accounting certificate is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Ranked among the Best Online Accounting Bachelor's Degrees
Designated as Best Online Private College by Intelligent.com
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Gain New Skills with a Certificate
Accounting careers are expected to see steady growth between 2018 and 2028, with globalization and a growing economy resulting in a high demand for qualified accounting professionals.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019
Top Reasons to Pursue a Certificate
- Enter a new field
- Build new skills
- Gain knowledge on your way towards a degree
- Differentiate your resume
- Earn a credential
- Demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of learning
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online accounting certificate, designed for working professionals.
Accounting Online Courses
Champlain's online accounting courses encompass the top skills needed by today's accounting professionals.
Note: Some of the courses in this program are available in 15-week terms only. Please contact your advisor for details.
Accounting is the language of business. This course introduces the student to accounting from the point of view of the user of financial reports and is appropriate for personal as well as business applications. Students explore the impact of transactions on the financial position and profitability of a business, and analyze financial reports of real-world corporations.
Managerial accounting focuses on the needs of management for accounting information to make informed decisions in the internal operations of a company. Topics include decision-making, accounting for planning and control, cost-volume-profit relationships, and budgeting.
In this first course of a two-part sequence focusing on financial reporting students will learn theory, concepts, principles and practices underlying preparation of external financial reports, particularly application of generally accepted accounting principles related to disclosure of current and noncurrent assets and principles of revenue recognition on the Balance sheet, Income Statement and Statement of Retained Earnings. Students will also consider broad issue like the environment of financial reporting, the role of financial reporting and the accounting standard-setting process.
Building on the knowledge and skills gained in Intermediate Accounting I, students will examine more intensively the application of generally accepted accounting principles for financial reporting and disclosure of current and noncurrent liabilities and stockholders' equity. Students will gain skills related to the advanced measurement, recognition and reporting of these select topics in financial accounting as well as the Statement of Cash Flows.
Students learn the basic skills of tax planning and tax research for individuals. Topics covered include tax determination and payments, gross income inclusions and exclusions, and itemized deductions. Many actual federal tax forms for individuals are studied. In addition to their textbooks, students use the computerized federal tax code and the Internal Revenue Service web site.
In the culminating course for the certificates, students will reframe knowledge and competencies from their certificate into a workable model that is applied through experiential learning models to a professional opportunity. Students will apply these competencies as professional best practice in a project that incorporates relevant research findings from the field.
Completion of certificate content requirements
Graduates of the online accounting certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Interpret financial information presented for the public in a corporation's annual reports.
- Explain how to use financial information to make effective management decisions.
- Explore federal income tax forms and laws related to filing individual returns for the most recent tax year.
- Able to provide bookkeeping services for small businesses.
If you choose to pursue a CPA designation, the accounting certificate will help prepare you for the accounting portions of that exam.
Champlain College Online's accounting faculty, led by Program Director Dr. Linda Miller, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our accounting certificate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s accounting professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the world of accounting, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online undergraduate certificate in accounting program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and non-profits nationwide, including:
- Community Bank
- Dartmouth College
- Data Innovations, LLC
- GE Healthcare
- Internal Revenue Service
- Keurig Dr. Pepper
- National Life Group
- U.S. Treasury
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Accounting Manager
- Accounting Support Analyst
- Accounts Receivable Specialist
- Commercial Finance & Ops Manager
- New Business Case Manager
- Payroll and Accounting Clerk
- Program Assistant
- Senior Manager of Accounting
- Tax Fraud Investigative Assistance
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
"I had a two-year degree and knew I would need a bachelor's to advance. I saw that the U.S. Department of Labor projected a high demand for employees in accounting, and Champlain is ranked one of the top schools for accounting, so it was the right fit."
From the Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.