Explore Accounting (A.S.)
Launch your career in the fast-growing accounting field with a degree designed for working adults. With a program built around the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Core Competency Framework, hands-on experience, and an emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking, Champlain's online associate in accounting degree will prepare you for success.
Build Your Career Future
Develop the accounting skills and business acumen today's employers are looking for. Through the accounting associate degree online program, you'll gain both foundational accounting skills and key soft skills (like communication and teamwork) that are essential for career growth, and emerge ready to tackle the challenges faced by today's accounting professionals.
This degree is ideal for those looking to enter the accounting field, or for those who have found themselves in an accounting-related role and are seeking formal training and knowledge of the accounting discipline. Plus, it's a solid stepping stone toward a full bachelor's degree in accounting for those who are returning to school after time away, or embarking on their first degree.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named among the top MBA programs by Abound/Colleges of Distinction
Move Your Accounting Career Forward
Accounting careers are expected to see steady growth between 2018 and 2028, with globalization and a growing economy resulting in a high demand for qualified accounting professionals. Accountants and auditors can expect a median annual salary of $70,500.*
Graduates of Champlain's associate in accounting degree program will be prepared for a variety of accounting roles across all sectors, including tax preparation, bookkeeping, and payroll services, in the areas of government, finance and insurance, manufacturing, and more.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019; jobs titles: Payscale, 2019
Top Jobs for Associate in Accounting Graduates
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounts Receivable Clerk
- Administrative Assistant
- Auditing Clerk
- Bookkeeping Clerk
- Payroll Clerk
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online accounting associate degree, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online accounting courses encompass the top skills needed by today's accounting professionals. Graduates of the program are required to complete the following courses.
Professional Courses (30 credits):
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting I (15-week course)
- Intermediate Accounting II (15-week course)
- Federal Taxes I (15-week course)
- Cost Accounting (10-week course)
- The Landscape of Internet Security
- Business Law I
- Managing Behavior in Organizations
- Principles of Marketing
General Education Courses (30 credits):
- Interpersonal Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Critical Reading and Expository Writing I
- Critical Reading and Expository Writing II
- Introduction to Statistics (15-week course)
- Hum/Sci/Math Elective (3 credits required)
- General Electives (9 credits required)
Accounting Course Descriptions:
Accounting is the language of business. This course introduces the student to accounting from the point of view of the user of financial reports and is appropriate for personal as well as business applications. Students explore the impact of transactions on the financial position and profitability of a business, and analyze financial reports of real-world corporations.
Managerial accounting focuses on the needs of management for accounting information to make informed decisions in the internal operations of a company. Topics include decision-making, accounting for planning and control, cost-volume-profit relationships, and budgeting.
Graduates of the accounting associate online program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Apply common financial frameworks used in business environments to prepare financial reports and develop related accounting skills.
- Understand and follow laws related to business and individual tax issues, business transactions, and develop the professional responsibilities expected of accountants that pertain to business and tax law.
- Demonstrate financial intelligence and professional judgement required of CPAs and accountants, in general, when preparing, analyzing, and interpreting financial information.
- Interpret and communicate complex information clearly and concisely when presenting financial analyses and reports to individuals, businesses, and other stakeholders.
- Objectively analyze information to identify problems and use business and financial knowledge to develop solutions that inform decision making.
- Acquire in-demand technical, analytical and soft skills employers want - such as communication, creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration - in general education courses that are a part of this degree.
Program competencies are adapted from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Core Competency Framework and include:
- Functional competencies: technical competencies most aligned with the value contributed by accounting professionals.
- Personal competencies: individual attributes and values
- Broad business perspective competencies: perspectives and skills relating to understanding of internal and external contexts.
Champlain College Online's accounting faculty, led by Program Director Dr. Linda Miller, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our accounting curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s accounting professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the world of accounting, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online associate in accounting program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits nationwide, including:
- AN Deringer, Inc.
- Ben and Jerry's
- Danaher, Attig & Plante
- Internal Revenue Service
- PC Construction Company
- Rutland Regional Medical Center
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Accounting Manager
- Buyer's Assistant
- Contact Representative
- Risk Manager
- Tax Preparer
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
Meet the Program Director
Linda MillerPhD CPA
- Accounting (A.S., B.S., Certificates)
- Human Relations and Organization Development (M.S.)
- Integrated Studies (B.S.)
- Positive Organization Development (Certificate)
Linda Miller, PhD, CPA, is Associate Professor and Assistant Dean for Champlain College Online. She is responsible for the online accounting and integrated studies programs, as well as the MBA and master's in human relations and organization development programs. Following 12 years in accounting, business, and consulting positions, Dr. Miller has spent over 20 years in higher education at a variety of schools, including Bucknell University, the University of Vermont, and Pennsylvania State University, where she also taught in the executive education programs.
With an education focus primarily in adult and online education, Dr. Miller has enjoyed developing a wide variety of online certificates and degrees in business-related areas, including supply chain management and leadership. Dr. Miller continues to research best practices in online teaching and learning and to create opportunities for Champlain College Online instructors to develop their online teaching skills. Other specific areas of interest for Dr. Miller include the impact of technology on supply chains and the effective teaching of transformational leadership.
Dr. Miller holds an M.S. in Accounting from Pennsylvania State University and a PhD in Business Management (School of Supply Chain Management) from the same. She is a member of the International Leadership Association and the Society of Supply Chain Management Professionals.
"I had a two-year degree and knew I would need a bachelor's to advance. I saw that the U.S. Department of Labor projected a high demand for employees in accounting, and Champlain is ranked one of the top schools for accounting, so it was the right fit."
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Program Guide
Learn what you can expect from our online associate in accounting program.
Download Program Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.