Explore Web Design & Development (B.S.)
Capitalize on the growing demand for web designers and developers with an integrated degree. Designed for working adults, Champlain's online bachelor's in web design and development degree will give you the tools you need to marry creative design with back-end programming, and give you the confidence to launch or advance your career in this dynamic field.
Build Your Career Future
With an integrated approach that encompasses all aspects of the field, including programming, design, e-commerce, and infrastructure, our web design and development degree will help you build key technical skills (including knowledge of over 32 key applications, platforms, and programming languages, listed below) in addition to in-demand soft skills such as problem-solving and communication. You'll also have the opportunity to differentiate your degree and gain subject matter expertise through a certificate in a specialization of your choice, in PHP Programming, Web Design, or Web Programming. With a foundation of business savvy and subject matter expertise, you'll be prepared to tackle new and emerging trends in the field.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named among the top MBA programs by Abound/Colleges of Distinction
Pursue Your Web Design & Development Career
Web development careers are expected to grow 13% between 2018 and 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. The median annual salary for web developers is over $69,000.*
The high demand for web design and development services across the business world means that job opportunities are available in virtually any industry, including computer systems design, creative services, finance and insurance, education, and nonprofits.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019; job titles: ComputerScience.org
Top Jobs for Bachelor's in Web Design & Development Graduates
- Computer Programmer
- Front End Developer
- Graphic Designer
- Web Developer
- Web Designer
- UX Designer
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online web design & development bachelor's degree, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online web design & development courses encompass the top skills needed by today's web professionals. Graduates of the program are required to complete the following courses.
Professional Courses (66 credits):
- Designing Digital Images for the Web
- Writing for the Web
- Web Site Design
- Financial Systems for Management
- Web Media
- Usability in Website and Software Design
- Introduction to Python
- Web Page Development I - HTML
- Relational Database Design & SQL
- Server Side Scripting - PHP
- Web Page Development II - CSS & XML
- Retail Internet Business
- Internet Business Relationships
- Project Management or Project Management Standards & Behaviors
- Networking Fundamentals
- Introduction to Operating Systems
- Internet and Web Architecture
- Ethical Hacking
- Senior Seminar Project (15-week course)
- Technical Electives (Choose courses from certificates listed above. 6 credits required)
General Education Courses (54 credits):
- Interpersonal Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Critical Reading & Expository Reading I
- Critical Reading & Expository Reading II
- Introduction to Statistics (15-week course)
- Ethics in the Professions
- Introduction to Psychology
- Social Interaction/Digital Age
- Microeconomics or Macroeconomics
- Hum/Sci/Math Electives (9 credits required)
- Lab Science (4 credits required)
- General Electives (14 credits required)
Web Design & Development Course Descriptions:
Graduates of the web design & development bachelor's online program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Apply fundamental computer theory to basic programming techniques.
- Maintain web server services required to host a website.
- Select and apply markup languages for processing, identification, and presentation of information on web pages.
- Use scripting languages and web services to transfer data and add interactive components to web pages.
- Create and manipulate web media objects.
- Incorporate aesthetics and formal concepts of layout and organization to design visually appealing and effective websites.
- Conceptualize and plan a web-based business using appropriate business models and technologies.
- Create advanced web components.
- Utilize appropriate security principles, with an emphasis on the most common vulnerabilities.
- Incorporate best practices in UX (user experience), navigation, UI (user interface), and communication to design accessible websites.
- Acquire in-demand technical, analytical and soft skills employers want - such as communication, creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration - in general education courses that are a part of this degree.
- Adobe Photoshop
- CSS3 Animation
- Damn Vulnerable Web Application (DVWA)
- DOM (Document Object Model)
- Google Hacking
- Kali Linux
- Mockups 3
- Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks (SATAN)
- Web Animations API
- Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP)
Champlain College Online's web design & development faculty, led by Cybersecurity Program Chair Kathleen Hyde, MCIS, MBA, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our web development curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s web design & development professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online bachelor's in web design and development program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits nationwide, including:
- Berklee College of Music
- BioTek Instruments
- Country Home Products
- Ibec Creative
- Geographic Data Technology, Inc.
- Holland Cable Commission
- ICF International
- Jarvis Web Design
- SEG Universe
- TD Bank
- Vermont Air National Guard
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Digital Mapping Technician
- Front-End Web Developer
- General Manager
- Knowledge Manager
- News Editor
- Senior Instructional Designer
- Software Quality Assurance Engineer
- Web Content Administrator
- Web Developer
- Web Solutions Technical Manager
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
Meet the Program Director
Kathleen HydeMCIS MBA
- Computer Forensics & Digital Investigations (B.S., Certificate)
- Computer Information Systems (B.S.)
- Information Security (M.S., Certificate)
- Management Information Systems (B.S.)
- Web Design & Development (A.S., B.S., Certificates)
Kathleen Hyde, MCIS, MBA, is the Chair of Cybersecurity Programs for Champlain College Online. She is responsible for the online cybersecurity and computer forensics and digital investigations undergraduate programs, as well as the M.S. in digital forensic science program.
As program director, Ms. Hyde maintains the cybersecurity and digital forensic programs' competitive and relevant edge, promotes the growth of the nation's cybersecurity workforce, and shares her passion for lifelong learning by teaching several online classes.
For more than 20 years, Ms. Hyde has provided consulting services in cybersecurity, data recovery, business continuity, and digital forensics to government, retail, finance, professional, and residential customers. She has also served as an instructor for Champlain's cybersecurity program and a subject-matter expert for course development for the past three years. Her areas of expertise and interest include insider threat detection, emerging threats and defenses, digital privacy and surveillance, and cybersecurity for educators.
Ms. Hyde holds both an MBA and an M.S. in Computer Information Studies from the University of Phoenix.
"Just having a bachelor's degree has made me feel more prepared and more confident than ever when applying to jobs, and has had a significant impact on my career. I've finally achieved something I've wanted for my entire life, and I'm proud of myself."
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Program Guide
Learn what you can expect from our online bachelor's in web design & development program.
Download Program Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.