Complete WEBD-110 and WEBD-125
Explore Web Design
Gain a foundation in web design (including knowledge of key applications, platforms, and programming languages) and enter this growing field with a credential employers will respect with Champlain's online web design certificate.
This certificate can be taken as a stand-alone program, or can be used as a stepping stone on the way to obtaining your online bachelor's degree in web design & development or online bachelor's degree in computer information systems.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our web design certificate coursework is applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you've already earned an undergraduate degree or you're currently pursuing your bachelor's degree, a web design certificate is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Designated the Best Online Private College by Intelligent.com
Ranked among the Most Affordable Bachelor's in Web Development programs
Ranked among the Best Colleges For Value for Web Development Bachelor's Degrees
Consistently ranked among the Best Online Programs by US News & World Report
Gain New Skills with a Certificate
Web development careers are expected to grow 13% between 2018 and 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019
Top Reasons to Pursue a Certificate
- Enter a new field
- Build new skills
- Gain knowledge on your way towards a degree
- Differentiate your resume
- Earn a credential
- Demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of learning
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online web design undergraduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online web design courses encompass the top skills needed by today's web design professionals.
Required Courses (18 Credits):
Today's high-quality digital images are as much art as they are science. In this course, students learn to use Adobe Photoshop to prepare and create images for web use. Hands-on activities develop familiarity with tools like eyedropper and quick mask, but also challenge students to create vector shapes and incorporate typography into the design of an ebook cover. Students also must create an email campaign and redesign a web site to specifications.
From storyboard to form creation, students walk through the steps to create a basic four to five-page website to specification in this course that introduces HTML5 and CSS. Hands-on assignments reinforce skills development and best practices in design: navigation, column layout, image editing and usage, fonts and tables.
Websites must balance technology with aesthetics. In this course, students study web design patterns and personas, and then create a wireframe storyboard with at least four panels designed for a standard desktop view. Students use Mockups 3.
Websites have three functions - to facilitate, enable and persuade - and are only useful if they can connect people and achieve definite goals. In this course, students learn to understand the concept of usability, and the roles of interaction, users, communication and collaboration as well as how to evaluate usability, and observe and test users.
WEBD-215 OR SDEV-230
Complex web page designs fully utilized all the functionality provided by the browser. In this course, students complete a variety of hands-on assignments as part of a redesign of an existing site. One week they recreate a page using appropriate HTML5 tags, while in another they implement drag and drop functionality that must work when the site is displayed in the Chrome browser. Later in the course, students animate transitions and build a basic responsive version of the site.
This course will focus on the implementation of digital media to enhance web pages. Students learn how to develop client-server media applications and use Web scripting languages to control media within web pages. Software applications used to optimize media streams and other current technologies will be covered in the course.
Graduates of the online web design certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Practice a balanced perspective of web analysis and design, giving attention to both technology and aesthetic considerations.
- Apply a site analysis process to include a feasibility study followed by a detailed needs analysis, and culminating in site design proposals.
- Select appropriate interactive technologies to engage users, effectively communicate messages, and meet web standards.
- Use popular image-editing software to design commonly used web images and learn how to adjust images for web effects.
- Apply intuitive navigation structures and interactive elements to design effective, accessible and usable websites.
- Adobe Photoshop
- Mockups 3
Students who have earned the CISSP Certification are eligible for transfer credits toward this certificate. Please speak to an admission representative or your academic advisor for details.
Champlain College Online's web design faculty, led by Cybersecurity Program Chair Kathleen Hyde, MCIS, MBA, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our web design certificate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s web professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online undergraduate certificate in web design program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits nationwide, including:
- 3PLAY Media
- American Community Management
- Contour Products
- Computer Generated Solutions
- Turbine, Inc.
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Controls Technician
- Director of Training and Website Service
- Graphic Designer
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Web Developer
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.