Explore Software Development
Earn your software development certificate online at Champlain College (including knowledge of multiple key applications, platforms, and programming languages) and enter this in-demand field with a credential employers will respect.
This certificate can be taken as a stand-alone program, or can be used as a stepping stone on the way to obtaining your online associate degree in software development, online bachelor's degree in software development, or online bachelor's degree in computer information systems.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our software development certificate coursework is applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you've already earned an undergraduate degree or you're currently pursuing your bachelor's degree, a software development certificate is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Champlain College Online is consistently ranked amount the best online programs by US News & World Report
Ranked among the Most Affordable Software Engineering programs
Ranked among the Best Online Colleges for Value for Software Engineering Bachelor's Degree programs
Ranked the Best Online Private College by Intelligent.com
Gain New Skills with a Certificate
Computer and information technology occupations are projected to grow 12% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all new occupations, as a result of an increased business focus on cloud computer, data collection and storage, and information security.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2019
Top Reasons to Pursue a Certificate
- Enter a new field
- Build new skills
- Gain knowledge on your way towards a degree
- Differentiate your resume
- Earn a credential
- Demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of learning
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online software development undergraduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online software development courses encompass the top skills needed by today's software development professionals. Complete the first two required courses, and then choose one of three options to complete your certificate.
Note: Some of the courses in this program are available in 15-week terms only. Please contact your advisor for details.
Learn the basics and more in this course on Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and SQL (Structured Query Language). Students propose a final project in the first module and then work, week-by-week, to design, create, and populate the database. Then, students learn to create queries and stored procedures.
This course covers the fundamentals of systems analysis while emphasizing the role of communication and other soft skills needed in IT and in business overall to be successful. The topics are useful for anyone who is involved in developing software system requirements and architectures (e.g., users, technical managers, product managers, technical leads, programmers, other software project team members, and clients).
This course will introduce students to programming concepts, using a major industry programming language, C++. SDEV-240 covers the history of programming languages, the essentials of the C++ programming language, and how to write effective and efficient programs to solve a variety of real-world problems.
This course is an introduction to programming using the Java programming language. Topics include programming logic, selection and repetition, array processing, classes, methods, and loops. The course introduces the student to the basic concepts of object oriented programming and exception handling. The focus is on developing high quality, working software that solves real problems.
From day one, students in this course are problem solving, first in terms of algorithmic design and then as early as week two via programming in the latest version of Python, using PyCharm. Students begin by writing a program to have a conversation, having strings and numbers as input, and advance, by week seven, to building a working password saver program, capable of looking up, adding (and encrypting), and storing passwords.
The focus of this course is to cover the robust and powerful features of C++ and Object Oriented Programming. These skills will serve as a foundation to transit to develop Client/Server, Database driven applications and simulations.
A study in Java language techniques beyond the introductory course. Topics include object inheritance, polymorphism, abstract classes and interfaces, multithreading, graphical user interfaces, event-driven programming, exceptions, and Java packages for collections. Robust software development assignments will emphasize solving real problems.
Python is a programming language with broad appeal because of its accessibility, community, sponsorship and utility. In this course students learn additional Python programming concepts and further develop their skills. Students progress from lists and basic structures to Object Oriented Programming, including objects, classes, encapsulation, abstraction modularity, memory management, inheritance and polymorphism. Students also learn advanced Python language features such as iterators and generators, along with error and exception handling.
Graduates of the online software development certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Build a solid foundation of knowledge of core technologies required to design and develop stand-alone and web-based software applications.
- Use object-oriented programming principles to build reusable software components that model real-world objects, reduce complexity and make software easier to maintain.
- Gain hands-on experience using industry standard application development tools to create data and logic components, graphical user-interfaces and error handling routines to build robust desktop and web-based applications in either Java or C# in the .NET Framework.
- Use database-driven web applications that make use of advanced media and web services components available with either Java or C# in the .NET Framework.
- Java Programming
- Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)
- SQL (Structured Query Language)
- Visual C# Programming
Champlain College Online's technology faculty, led by Program Director Dr. Sérgio Tenreiro de Magalhães, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our software development certificate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s software development professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Alumni of the Champlain College Online undergraduate certificate in software development program work in corporations, small businesses, government organizations, and nonprofits nationwide, including:
- Aventura Technologies
- City of Burlington Public Works
- Dealertrack Technologies
- Goldman Sachs
- ICF Macro
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- U.S. Navy
- Vermont Air National Guard
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
Titles our alumni hold include:
- Database Administrator
- Lead IT Specialist
- Nuclear Weapons Program Specialist
- Software Developer Manager
- Software Engineer
- Survey Programmer
- Technical Support
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
From Our Blog
You may also be interested in
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.